Mindmaps and Learning

 Hey everyone!

As you all know online sources, applications, softwares are getting more important day by day in many fields of education including language learning. One of these that I wanna talk about today is mindmapping. It is basically, for example, creating a visual map of a topic with its subtopics. Instead of drawing it to your notebook, you can simply do it on internet, which has an advantage of storage compared to traditional stuff. What you save here stays on the cloud servers so you do not need to bring your PC, or phone to everywhere to see your mindmap. 

I want to show you an example of a mindmap I did last term for my Educational Technologies class.

(some friends used the learning theories mindmap in their blogs; however, I decided to put my own mindmap here as our topic is mostly on mindmapping in language learning, not learning theories.)




As you can see above, I linked an umbrella term to its sub parts. The software I used to make my mindmap here is called "Freeplane". It's a free application you can download and create some stuff easily. There are also other apps I saw in my friend's blog:

  • Canva
  • MindMeister
  • FreeMind
  • Popplet
  • LucidChart
  • Scapple
  • Bubbl.us
  • MindManager
  • Coggle
  • Microsoft Visio
  • Cacoo
  • MindGenius
  • SmartDraw
  • Milanote
  • Padlet
  • Ayoa
  • XMind                                                                                          (https://materialswithbeyza.blogspot.com/2022/03/mindmapping.html)


To talk about its benefits, I can say that the first and most important one is remembering and recalling information. This can significantly help people who have a good visual memory along with others as well of course. The other advantages can be written below:

*It helps you learn new concepts.

*It's a fun way of learning.

*It makes complex ideas easier to understand.

*It improves your presenting. It boosts your creativity. 

*It improves productivity. 

*It's flexible.


In language learning, mindmapping can play a huge role as well. Similarly like above, it can make language learning not tedious but pretty entertaining. It can also boost their attention and interest towards the language. 


Comments

Popular Posts